Monday, July 19, 2010

Trend: Feed me some Oxfords



When models first walked down the runway wearing oxfords, I was not surprised, but I wasn't ecstatic either. To me the oxfords seemed like a very boring and masculine type of shoe that would soon go out of fashion.

Which is why, as I write this, I cannot help but feel slightly confused as I stare at the gorgeous Silver Madden silver oxfords that I bought recently.

For some reason, during the last couple of weeks I went into an oxford frenzy (which is weird enough, considering that the most extravagant shoes I currently own are leopard flats). Nevertheless,the oxfords grew on me, and I felt identified with this type of shoe. The oxford represents the ultimate stylish, preppy, and boyish shoe that a sort of awkward and book-worm type of girl would wear.




However, they also represent a challenge in terms of versatility. Being the classic and conservative girl that I am, it did take me some effort to style these oxfords. Thankfully, after browsing the J.Crew catalogs and Googling images of Alexa Chung, Sienna Miller and Olivia Palermo many times, I finally found inspiration.



In order to successfully wear oxfords (and avoid looking like a 5 yr old boy) you have to arm yourself with the following:

1. Shorts: denim shorts for a more casual look, or black fancier shorts for a more sophisticated and european look.

2. Body-con skirts: if they look good on you, go ahead and rock the body-con skirt with a lose top, a cool fedora and your oxfords (just make sure that the colors don't clash)

3. Summer dresses: my personal favorite, update the traditional summer dress with sandals to the more updated summer dress with oxfords look!

4. Ankle jeans/pants: this is a great look too. Just fold your usual skinny jeans/pants, put on a lose top with long strands of necklaces for a casual look or a v-neck shirt with a cardigan and add some pearls and big glasses for a more lady-like and preppy look if you prefer.


If you have any suggestions, do let me know on the comments section what you think of this new trend and how you would wear it.

'Till next time ;)

Image credits: 1. The Sartorialist, 2. Steven by Steve Madden Women's Melin shoe (available at Steve Madden), 3. Smokeye blog









No comments:

Post a Comment